These vegan raspberry oat bars are a perfect afternoon treat. The buttery oaty base holds layer of a zingy raspberry jam and is topped with an oaty crumble topping.
Making the oat bars
These oat bars are vegan friendly and come together with ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen
- brown sugar
- bicarbonate of soda
- dairy-free butter
- golden syrup
- raspberry jam
For the base
This is a super simple, one-bowl recipe, which is great for minimal washing up!
Start with mixing the dry ingredients. Mix the sugar, flour and bicarb in a large bowl. You can do this with a wooden spoon, no mixer needed!
Adding the wet ingredients
Add the oats and butter cubes to the dry mixture. Rub the mixture between your fingertips for a few minutes until the whole mixture is like small breadcrumbs. You should be able to press the mixture together into a dough.
The golden syrup
You can skip the golden syrup if you don't have it, but I would highly recommend adding it in.
Assembling the bars
An 8 inch cake tin is a great size for these bars, because it's not too wide so you get nice, thick bars. Start with lining your cake tin with greaseproof paper.
Press most of the oat mixture into a cake tin. Spread lots of raspberry jam on top. You can use any flavour jam here, I love raspberry conserve - it's my favourite!
Try and avoid spreading the raspberry jam right to the edge, stick with leaving a border of 2-3cm around the edge. The jam will spread as it heats up in the oven, so it'll stick to the edge of the cake tin and be a nightmare to remove when it's cooled!
Crumble the rest of the oat mixture on top of the jam and press it lightly onto the jam.
Baking the Oat Bars
Bake for 35-40 mins. Check it about 30 mins in. It'll only be very lightly golden on top.
When you think, mmm, maybe it could bake for another couple of minutes, that's when it's done! It'll set a bit more as it cools down, and ever so slightly under baking it will keep the texture nice and chewy.
If you enjoyed these vegan raspberry oat bars, try these recipes too!Print
Delicious oat bars filled with tangy raspberry jam
- 165g brown sugar
- 190g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 120g oats
- 165g dairy-free butter, unsalted
- 30g golden syrup
- 180g raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan)
- Grease and line a 8x8 inch cake tin with greaseproof paper
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and oats
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add it into the bowl
- Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs
- Mix in the golden syrup, still using your hands
- Press 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of the cake tin
- Spread a layer of jam over the oat mixture, making sure it doesn't go right to the edge
- Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture on top and lightly press into the jam
- Bake for 35-40 mins, until the top is lightly brown
- Leave to cool completely in the tin and cut into pieces