These vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting are the perfect way to enjoy one of my favourite flavour combinations. Fluffy vanilla sponge cupcakes topped with rich, smooth chocolate buttercream and colourful sprinkles.
For the vanilla cupcakes
These vanilla cupcakes are an easy sponge cake recipe. Take some butter and caster sugar and mix them together until it's really light and fluffy.
Mix in the eggs one at a time along with some vanilla extract.
Gently mix in the flour and raising agents. You'll have to be careful not to overmix the flour at this stage. This are the cupcakes done, it's that simple!
Spoon the cupcake batter into the cupcake cases. An ice cream scoop is really useful for making sure the cupcakes are all the same size.
If you're looking for other cupcake recipes, check these out!
Baking the cupcakes
Once all the batter is in the cupcake cases, bake these cupcakes for 12-15 minutes.
You'll know when they're done because they're have risen in a light domed shaped, be golden brown and skewer inserted in the middle will come out clean.
For the chocolate buttercream
The chocolate buttercream is rich, creamy and delicious. It’s the same one I use to frost my chocolate fudge cake.
Mix some butter until it's light and fluffy. It takes a good 5 minutes, so keep mixing until the butter looks very pale. Then you slowly mix in the icing sugar and cocoa powder until it's really smooth and fully combined.
Beat by hand with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes to get a perfect buttercream consistency.
Decorating the cupcakes
Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, you're ready to decorate them.
Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1M piping tip. Pipe the buttercream in swirls on top of the vanilla cupcakes. A small sprinkling of sprinkles finishes off these vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting perfectly!Print
Fluffly vanilla cupcakes topped with creamy rich chocolate buttercream
For the cupcakes:
- 120 g butter (at room temperature)
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 120 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 125 g butter (at room temperature)
- 260 g icing sugar
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 25 ml milk
- A few sprinkles
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for a fan oven). Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter for 3-4 minutes until creamy
- Add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Mix in the vanilla extract
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until combined. Don’t overmix
- Scoop the cupcake batter evenly into the cupcake liners (I used an ice cream scoop)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown
- Leave to cool for two minutes in the tray, then move the cupcakes onto a cooling rack to cool completely
For the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter for 5 minutes
- Add a few spoonfuls of icing sugar and cocoa powder, and whisk until combined. Repeat until all icing sugar and cocoa powder is mixed in
- Using a piping bag with a tip of your choice (I used Wilton 1M), pipe the buttercream frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles if you like