These Oreo truffle cupcakes are a combination of a soft, vanilla cupcake base hiding a deliciously rich Oreo truffle, topped with Oreo buttercream and a mini Oreo.
A while ago, I created an Oreo truffle recipe. It's just crushed up Oreos and Philadelphia, but people go CRAZY for them. I can't even explain why people like them so much, just know that they do.
So I took it to another level by baking them into a vanilla cupcake and topping them with a giant pile of delicious Oreo buttercream.
THE OREO TRUFFLES
These are made from two simple ingredients: Oreos, and full-fat Philadelphia.
Throw the Oreos into a food processor and whizz up until they're crumbs. Then add the Philadelphia and keep whizzing up until you end up with a giant Oreo/Philadelphia ball.
Now is the fun part - roll out 12 Oreo truffles into balls and put on a baking tray. I would actually recommend that you can roll a few more just to eat too!
Put in the fridge for an hour. Refrigerating them makes sure they hold their shape when they're being baked.
THE VANILLA CUPCAKES
These vanilla cupcakes used the tried and true vanilla sponge cupcake recipe that I used for these cupcakes.
It uses the usual baking ingredients: butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla, then slowly mix in the flour. It really is simple, and they bake so well everytime!
Just remember to only fill the cupcake lines 3/4 full, to make sure they don't overflow while they're in the oven!
THE OREO BUTTERCREAM
The Oreo buttercream is just delicious. It's made from butter, a whole load of icing sugar, and lots of crushed Oreos. It also works really well on a chocolate cake!
The trick here is to make sure the Oreos are really finely crushed before you add them to the buttercream, otherwise they'll clog up your piping tip and you won't be able to frost the cupcakes smoothly.Print
For the cupcakes:
- 120 g butter (unsalted)
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the Oreo truffles:
- 110 g full-fat soft cheese (Philadelphia)
- 220 g Oreos
For the cookies and cream buttercream:
- 125 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 320 g icing sugar
- 50 ml milk
- 100 g Oreos (crushed)
For the Oreo Truffles
- Put the Oreos in a food processor, and process until fine crumbs
- Mix the crushed Oreos with the soft cheese until it forms a giant ball
- Scoop 12 small balls of the Oreo truffle mix onto a lined baking tray
- Chill for 1 hour
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter for 3-4 minutes until creamy
- Add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Mix in the vanilla extract
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until combined. Don’t overmix
- Fill each cupcake liner half way with the cupcake batter
- Push an Oreo truffle into each cupcake liner
- Top up the cupcake liners with the remaining batter. Make sure to cover the Oreo truffle, but to only fill each cupcake liner ¾ full
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown
- Leave to cool for two minutes in the tray, then move the cupcakes onto a cooling rack to cool completely
For the frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter for 5 minutes, until pale and fluffy
- Slowly mix in all the icing sugar, until combined
- Mix in the crushed Oreos, until evenly spread
- Using a piping bag with a tip of your choice (I used Wilton 1M), pipe the buttercream frosting onto the cupcakes.