The cold weather is perfect for all things warm and spicy, and what fits that criteria better than gingerbread? Not one to settle for a basic cake alone, I added white chocolate buttercream and a deliciously sticky caramel sauce.
The gingerbread cake itself is vegan, and it wouldn't be difficult to substitute some of the ingredients in the buttercream and caramel sauce to make those vegan too.
Four layers of gingerbread cake, topped with drizzles of caramel sauce, and sandwiched together with white chocolate buttercream. Finish with a caramel drip and mini gingerbread men make this cake a real showstopper.
This cake even tastes better after a day or two (if it lasts that long!). The spices in the cake make it more moist, and the caramel sauce soaks through the cake layers even more. It's just delicious!
VEGAN GINGERBREAD CAKE
• 390g plain flour
• 200g light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 180ml almond milk
• 160ml vegetable oil
• 120ml water, at room temperature
• 100g caster sugar
• 70g applesauce
• 60g black treacle
• 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
WHITE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
• 200g white chocolate spread
• 250g butter
• 700g icing sugar
• mini gingerbread men
• 200g caster sugar
• 60ml water, at room temperature
• 90g butter, cut into cubes
• 120ml double cream
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 170°C fan. Grease and line four 6 inch cake tins.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the almond milk, oil, water, sugar, applesauce, molasses, vinegar and vanilla until blended.
3. Add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir until combined and smooth.
4. Divide cake batter evenly between the four cake tines.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool in pan.
For the white chocolate buttercream:
1. In a large bowl, beat the white chocolate spread and butter until light and creamy.
2. Add the icing sugar, and beat until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
For the caramel sauce:
1. In a large saucepan, add the sugar and water. Stir over a medium heat until combined. Don't stir again. Swirl the pan occasionally until the sugar has melted and turns a light amber colour.
3. Add the butter, and whisk until the melted.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Slowly pour in the cream, whisking constantly.
5. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then pour into a container to cool in the fridge.
1. Once the cake and the caramel sauce has cooled, start assembling the cake.
2. Place one cake layer onto a cake board. Spread white chocolate buttercream over. Drizzle some caramel sauce over the buttercream. Repeat with all layers.
3. Cover the cake with a thin layer of white chocolate buttercream. Drip any leftover caramel sauce over the top and down the sides. Pipe any remaining buttercream around the edge of the top of the cake. Press the mini gingerbread men into these buttercream spirals.